Pool Time

Pool Time

Friday, January 9, 2009

Day 9 - 1/9/09

Weigh-in: 200.0

I was wondering yesterday about my two weigh-ins, the early one at 200.2 and the one two hours later at 199.4, and which one might be more accurate.  It turns out, I didn't have to worry about that, because I screwed myself back into the 200's for today anyway.  After not working out yesterday morning, I DID swim yesterday afternoon, but then we went out to dinner.  I wish I could just make myself order a salad like I always SAY I'm going to, but instead I had rolls (O'Charley's--I LOVE their dinner rolls), soup, a sandwich covered in ranch, and smashed potatoes.  Not really a light-weight dinner.  So whatever the "real" weight was yesterday, it didn't matter.  

In my quest to find out as much as I can about pregnancy and all that jazz, I've been wondering what kinds of exercises I'll be allowed to do.  Certainly high-impact stuff is out, but I got to thinking about weight lifting, since I've been doing some.  I'm not talking about the stuff those no-neck, bicep-popping freaks who spend all day at the gym lift; I'm simply thinking about resistance strength training.  I found the following info at BabyCenter.com.

First of all, check with the doctor first, which I'm sure you have to do for pretty much EVERYTHING when you're pregnant.

Next, stick with the "lighter weights, more reps" approach.  Avoid moves that put significant pressure on your abdomen (certainly don't let the weights come in contact with your abdomen), avoid stretching or twisting too much (including the pelvic area--they said NO lunges), and don't lift from flat on your back.  

Most importantly, they suggest that you pay attention to your own body.  If you are feeling tired, weak, or overly strained or stressed, stop and move on to something else.  As they say in their article, "Pregnancy isn't the time to push yourself to your limits."


No comments:

Post a Comment