Pool Time

Pool Time

Sunday, January 18, 2009

Day 18 - 1/18/09

Weigh-in: 198.8

Well, it's an improvement over yesterday, but I still have a long way to go.  And tomorrow's weigh-in probably won't be this good, with a day of beer and chili on the couch in front of the football games.  Oh well.

I have heard, off and on, people referring to "volumetrics".  I thought it was just a general concept, but apparently someone actually coined the phrase and wrote several books, with recipes, about it.  The concept is simple, though.  You want to fill up on large volume, low calorie foods.  Water, of course, is the prime example; it can make you feel full, but contains no calories at all.  A big pile of raw veggies might contain the same number of calories as two chocolate chip cookies, but you might still feel hungry after the cookies, while all the veggies fill you up.  It all makes sense.  And really, there isn't anything here that doesn't apply to most of the other common sense diets--eat more fruits and veggies, eat less sugar and fat, and drink lots of water.  

But what do you do when you still crave those stupid cookies?

On a different topic, I'm trying an experiment.  I mentioned before that I take blood pressure medication for hypertension.  Well, I need to refill the prescription.  But I decided to try going a few days without it before refilling it.  Since my ultimate goal is to drop the meds entirely, I need to know where I stand right now, before the weight loss.  So I plan to skip the blood pressure med for a couple days, and take my blood pressure at home using an automatic pressure cuff I got when the doctor first put me on the med.  I want to get a baseline for my blood pressure without the med.  That way, I can tell if I'm improving, by taking a few more days at the end of the next month to do the same thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment