Pool Time

Pool Time

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Day 13 - 1/13/09

Weigh-in: 199.8

OK, so I didn't do a very good job yesterday.  I didn't go to the gym in the morning OR the afternoon, and my husband sweet-talked me (although he didn't have to try hard) into dinner at Outback Steakhouse.  I am a major carnivore, and I do my steak the way God intended: RARE.  Mooing.  Limping.  I want it to fight for its life on my plate.  So, after no working out and a dinner of red meat, a salad smothered in cheese and ranch (how can you make lettuce any better?), some of their brown bread (loves me some of them loaves), and a nice heap of garlic mashed potatoes, I should be pretty freakin' happy that my weight didn't jump back over 200 lbs.  I did make it to the gym this morning, and I'll probably just have a sandwich for dinner tonight, so hopefully I can undo whatever damage has been done.  Sad that it's only Tuesday and I already have this defeatist attitude about my weight for the week.  We'll see what the rest of the week will bring.

Anyway, I visited Baby Center today and looked up the topic of weight gain.  They suggested that a woman like me (read: fat) should really only gain no more than 15 lbs during pregnancy, since I'm already carrying more than I need.  According to their BMI scale, I am technically obese (thanks for the vote of confidence, people).  It sounds like I can use a lot of the reserves I already have for the baby's sake.  Which makes me wonder again, do you suppose I could actually LOSE weight by being pregnant?  I don't suppose I should try.  But the article did say that a pregnant woman should be more concerned with eating healthy than with gaining weight, since it's pretty much a given.  

I've done a little searching into a recommended diet for a pregnant woman.  Most of what I've found just generally suggests the usual--a diet high in fiber and lower in fat, and one that includes milk and milk products.  I wondered about the possibility of encouraging or creating a food allergy in a child based on the foods the mother eats prenatally, but so far everything I've seen suggests that it is unlikely that foods absorbed in utero might contribute to allergies, except possibly peanuts in families where peanut allergies exist.  I don't have any food allergies at all, and neither does my husband, so I'm hoping that means I really don't need to worry about food allergies.  Heck, the only allergy at all in our family is my husband's nasty case of hay fever.  Bummer for him.  

No comments:

Post a Comment