Pool Time

Pool Time

Friday, March 12, 2010

So, it's a whole new ballgame...

You'll notice a few changes in this blog. It was originally about preparing myself, mentally and physically, for the possibility that I might at some point become a parent. A high priority was weight loss, since I am and pretty much always have been overweight. So I was documenting the weight loss (that wasn't happening) and the research I was doing into issues surrounding pregnancy and parenthood.

And then...

I got pregnant.

Yep, that's right. We made the decision back around Christmas that, since my birth control prescription was expiring, we would go ahead and not refill the prescription and just see what happened. We weren't necessarily trying to GET pregnant; we just weren't trying to prevent it. I had heard stories that, after taking birth control for extended lengths of time, it takes the body a few months, sometimes up to a year, to adjust to no birth control and get back on schedule. So we figured we had a little time.

But a little time ended up being only one period, in January. February rolled around, and nothing happened. No period, no nothing. A few occasional cramps. That was it. But again, I had read that until the body completely adjusted to being off birth control, periods would be irregular and possibly missed altogether. So I waited. I figured my period would give up and show itself eventually. And the time grew closer for my husband's cousin to come visit us, bringing some snowboarding days and a lot of activity. The day before she arrived, I couldn't take the suspense anymore. I stopped at the store and bought a box of take-at-home pregnancy tests, and took one that afternoon. Pee on the stick, wait a few minutes, and check the digital read-out. And the read-out said: YES+.

I told my husband when he got home that evening. But of course, those tests aren't always guaranteed, so I took the second test from the box a few days later, thinking the hormones might be different. This time, the read-out said: YES+, and my husband got to see it for himself. So the likelihood increased again, but we couldn't really do anything else about it. My husband's cousin was visiting, and my father-in-law was staying with us for his customary two weeks each month while he worked out at the nearby Indian reservation. I just watched what I ate, tried to be as careful as possible while snowboarding (I managed to avoid pretty much any falling at all), and waited.

Finally, today rolled around. My husband's cousin had gone home, my father-in-law left for work and wouldn't be back for a couple of weeks, and I needed to visit the doctor for a possible ear infection anyway. So while I was at the doctor's office, I told the doctor my suspicions about being pregnant. The tech drew some blood, and the doctor called me about an hour later to confirm what I had already suspected for about a month: I AM PREGNANT. Probably about 6 weeks pregnant, based on my last period and when women traditionally ovulate. That would put delivery somewhere around the end of October/beginning of November. I still need to schedule an appointment with an OB and start all that prenatal stuff, but at least now I know the truth.

And I am excited about it. While I can't really believe that I've got something growing inside me (ever see Alien?), and I know this will completely change our lives and our relationship, I really think this is going to be a great adventure. My brother is leaving (today, as a matter of fact) for Afghanistan for ten months, and my dad is leaving in a few weeks for Djibouti, Africa for about a year, and I've been feeling a little, I don't know, left behind I guess, since everyone else is having adventures but me. So now, I am going to have an adventure of my own.

An adventure that will last for the next, oh, rest of my life.

Exactly what have I gotten myself into?

No comments:

Post a Comment