Pool Time

Pool Time

Monday, April 6, 2009

Day 96 - 4/6/09

Weigh-in: ???  

Not sure.  Haven't had a weigh-in recently.  We have had houseguests, and since our scale is in a public room, and I traditionally weigh in au naturale, it seemed rather inappropriate to weigh in until our guests had departed.  I will give it a shot tomorrow morning and see where I stand.

I have been working out; some teachers with whom I work have started a "work out club" during one of our shared planning periods, so I've gotten to do some of those Leslie Sammons 30-minute walking workouts.  So far, so good.

On to interesting news.  I read an article from the most recent issue of Nutrition Reviews regarding folic acid.

I did not even realize that folic acid was not a natural substance.  Folate is a form of vitamin B.  It helps prevent certain cancers and helps in the neural development of fetuses.  However, folic acid is a synthetic form, and may actually aid the development of some cancers if taken in excess.  Most Americans and others who live in well-developed countries get enough folic acid, despite suggestion to the contrary.  So any folic acid taken in beyond that might actually be detrimental.  

I guess this is why they suggest talking to your doctor before taking ANY prenatal supplements of any kind.

No comments:

Post a Comment