Pool Time

Pool Time

Friday, April 17, 2009

Day 107 - 4/17/09

Weigh-in: 195.8

That was a pretty nice surprise this morning, especially since I had two ice cream sandwiches yesterday and burritos for dinner last night (which are almost always the kiss of death for my morning weigh-in). I'm actually down three pounds from yesterday's weigh-in. Of course, there are many possible reasons: I took some Excedrin last night, which may have dehydrated me a bit and lowered the water weight; I'm coming to the end of my TOTM so the bloating may be going back down; perhaps the exercising I've been doing has actually been helping. Who knows?

I have been pretty good about working out this week. Nothing Monday (why ruin a perfectly good day off?), but I've hit the gym twice before work this week to lift weights, and I've been doing 30-minute walking and kickboxing cardio workouts with some coworkers during one of our planning periods at school (four times a week) for two weeks now. I've enjoyed it so much that I actually ordered some of the kickboxing videos (it's called "Turbo Jam", and it's a set of five videos for only three payments of blah blah blah) so that I can keep doing this at home during the summer. I can definitely feel the kickboxing workouts the next day.

Anyway, on to other topics.

Found an article today on ParentingHelpMe.com that is really interesting from a parent/teacher perspective. It's about children and social media (like Facebook, YouTube, MySpace, Twitter, etc.). While I don't have kids of my own yet, I do teach high school and am very aware of my students' relationship to their social networks.

The article is very brief--apparently it is a follow-up to another article, which I will have to look for--but cites some interesting statistics about kids on the computer. According to the article, about 3/4 of kids ages 12-17 are regular online participators, and and almost 2/3 of those kids have acknowledged that there is some information on their social networking site that could be embarrassing or harmful to them, if not now then when they grow up. The upshot of the article is that parents need to take an active role in their children's use of any and all social networking sites, to be aware of what information their child is posting or receiving and to actually limit or control harmful activity. The example the article used at the end was how unfortunate it would be for a picture of your son with a bong to show up on the Internet and harm his reputation or career, as in the case of Michael Phelps. This is a lesson I've been trying to impart to my students, but I don't know how successful I've been, because I refuse to be "friends" with any of them on Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment