Pool Time

Pool Time

Monday, October 18, 2010

The (pine)apple of my eye

39 weeks 2 days. I'm eager to get this party started. Nothing seems to be happening, so I thought I'd try a little experiment.

I've read a variety of "self-inducing" stories where women have consumed certain foods/drinks that have caused them (supposedly) to go into labor. Most of these (castor oil, black tea and sauerkraut) don't sound very pleasant. But I've read in several places that fresh pineapple has some kind of enzyme that helps "tone" the cervix. It doesn't cause contractions or anything like that, but it does (according to these various sources) help the cervix start to thin out and efface. That will make it easier for the cervix to start dilating, and then the contractions can start on their own.

I happen to like fresh pineapple, so this seemed like a reasonable self-induction myth to test. I bought a container of pineapple chunks while at the grocery store, and ate the whole thing. Of course, now I don't know what to follow that up with. I don't have another appointment until Friday, so I'm not going to be able to have anyone check me to see if I'm actually dilating or not. I guess I'll just have to wait a couple of days and see if I start having contractions, or wait until my appointment and see if the doctor finds that I'm dilating or not. I guess I could go on to a "guaranteed" labor-inducer a friend told me about, but it's sauerkraut, and while I'm a quarter German, I've never really found an affinity for the stuff. I'd like to go into labor soon, but I'm just not sure if I'm THAT willing to experiment. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment