Pool Time

Pool Time

Saturday, October 16, 2010

Nothing outlasts the Energizer bunny except me

39 weeks. My due date is one week from today. Since this is a first baby, I could technically have as many as three weeks to go (not that I think my OB would let me go that long). So it isn't really realistic to expect that the baby would be making an appearance this early.

So why am I so jealous of the people I know who are beating me to the punch, so to speak? A former student of mine, who wasn't due until Halloween, had her baby early due to gestational diabetes. Another of my friends, due the day after I am, is scheduled to have her baby on Tuesday (he's breech, and they'll either turn him and induce or c-section him, but one way or another he's coming out). While I certainly don't envy the difficulties they've had in their pregnancies, I can't help but envy the fact that they knew/know exactly when they'd have their babies.

I compared it to waiting for Christmas, except you know exactly how many days are left until Christmas. I'm not really sure what else this equates to.

I have plenty of reasons to want to wait. My birthday is in the middle of this week, and I would rather not spend my birthday in the hospital. Also, my dad is coming into town, and he won't be here until Wednesday. I'd hate to have him miss all the fun. Lastly, my OB is out of town until Wednesday night, so if I want her involvement (which would be nice, since she's been my dr. the whole time), I have to wait until at least Thursday. And an added bonus would be the possibility of having the baby on Friday, which would have been my mother's 67th birthday. I've missed her very much during this pregnancy, so it would be a neat tribute to her to have her grandson born on her birthday.

So why am I so impatient?

No comments:

Post a Comment