Pool Time

Pool Time

Sunday, September 26, 2010

My "to do" list is as big as my belly

36 weeks pregnant. Wow. I can't believe I'm this close to the end of all this (and the beginning of the rest of my life, as a mom). Heck, I could be even closer than I think. If my bp is high when I go in for my checkup this Wednesday, I suppose it's possible they could go ahead and schedule the birth (induction? c-section? I have no idea what they'd do) as soon as I hit 37 weeks (Saturday) so my bp doesn't cause any problems. Technically that would still be full-term. So I could conceivably (see what I did there?) have a baby in a week from now. Holy crap.

Not sure I'm mentally ready for this yet, and definitely sure I don't have the house ready yet! Thankfully my husband installed the car seat bases in our vehicles today, so we're ready to go as far as that's concerned, but that's only the tip of the iceberg. Let's see...

-hang curtains in nursery (At least the curtains are made; thank goodness for my mother-in-law and grandmother-in-law!)

-wash all linens and baby clothes (This is an on-going process; I've already started but I've got plenty left to wash.)

-store any clothes and other items we won't need (I inherited some girl baby clothes, which of course we won't need right now, and there are probably some toys and things that are a little too old for the baby at this point. I need to get some storage tubs to put everything in. Guess a trip to Target is in order.)

-clean out closet in nursery (The closet has been a catchall until this point, but we'll need to put baby things in there, so I need to transfer everything else to another closet or somewhere else in the house.(

-finish setting up the crib (There are a couple screws missing that hold part of the side of the crib together, so I need to go pick those up. Also, I need to put in the linens that I will be using, the dust ruffle, and things of that nature.)

-set up the changing table (We inherited the changing table that my husband had been changed on as a baby. It has been hosed off, but I think I need to pick up a new pad for it.)

-move the matching shelves into the closet (I need to hose these off first and let them dry. I think I'll use them for clothes and linens for now. Eventually there will be toys and books on them too.)

-put away the baby clothes (I'll have to hold off on this until we get the dresser that belongs to our twin bed set in the nursery. My in-laws are still using it, and will bring it up to us in a few weeks.)

-go through the "baby checklists" I have to see what we still need (I know we need diapers and all that stuff, and I should probably get some baby bottles so I can use the breast pump I have and let my husband share in the fun of feeding.)

I'm sure there are many more items I'm just not thinking of right now, but obviously I've got a lot of work to do to make sure we're ready for this baby, whenever he shows up. Unfortunately, now that I have so much work to do, I'm the least inclined to do it. People keep talking about the "nesting instinct", where women and animals are compelled to prepare the house for the baby's arrival. I either don't have a nesting instinct, or it is seriously overwhelmed by the "lazy butt" instinct I have, that compels me to sit on the couch and not do anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment