Pool Time

Pool Time

Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Day 84 - 3/25/09

Weigh-in: 195.2

That's a manageable margin from yesterday--could be due to a variety of reasons, including pizza for dinner last night.  I will soldier on!

I was reminded today of my baby names post.  There are some weird ones out there, but there are some that I really like.  I don't have an official list of baby names or anything, but there are a few I'm fond of, for girls.  Not sure why I have girls' names and not boys', except perhaps for the fact that I'm exposed to so many more girls' names since I teach all girls.

I am very fond of Irish/Scottish names.  This could be part heritage (I have a little of both in the ol' bloodline), or it could be because the names go so well with my last name (which is a "Mc" as I married a Scot), or it could simply be the teaching thing again (I teach at a Catholic school so I have a lot of Irish Catholic students).

Here's my list: kind of a mixed bag, to say the least.

Colleen--I love this name.  My very best friend when I was an elementary school student was named Colleen.  I'm not sure if it's a throwback to her or what.

Molly--I've had several students with this name, and they've all been pretty good kids.  Plus it would go so well with my last name.

Siobhan--While I would not be unkind enough to saddle a child with this as a first name, it's a lovely, mysterious looking and sounding name (pronounced shee-van).

Noelle--Not Scottish or Irish, but still so beautiful.  It has a nice, Christian feel to it.  A bit Christmasy, perhaps, but still.  This name is very personal to me.  I had a dear friend named Noelle who was killed by a drunk driver when she was a senior in high school.  We had joked at one time that we liked each other's names so much (she liked my middle name, Annette) that we would name our children after each other.  

Sienna, or Sierra--A bit crunchy granola, perhaps, but pretty nonetheless.  Although "Sierra Noelle" sounds like someone's country music Christmas album.  

Kathleen--Back to the Scotch/Irish names.  I like the versatility.  She might be a Kathy, or a Kate, or a Katie, or a Lee.  Maybe even a Kay.

Griffen--I taught a student named Griffen, and she was wonderful.  The name is, too.  I know a gryphon is a mythical beast and all that, but Griffen (or Griffin, I suppose) sounds tough but also light-hearted.

I've also had several students with what I had always considered to be boys' names (Kyle, Ryan) that were interesting--these girls were so pretty and feminine that their names were actually quite beautiful.  

I don't know.  Coming up with a good name is so darned hard.  But I have plenty of time, as there is no deadline looming for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment