Pool Time

Pool Time

Friday, May 6, 2011

My Mother's Day wish

Well, we're approaching my first Mother's Day as a mom. I remember thinking last year, when I was pregnant, that I couldn't wait until I had my baby and could be a mom. And now that my baby is six months old, and I'm about to celebrate being a mom, I have been thinking about the holiday. Several people have asked me "what do you want for Mother's Day?" Of course, the first thing I wanted I already have, a wonderful family. But as for other things, I have considered baby gear, like a bike trailer and jogging stroller. I mean, summer is coming, I need the exercise, and I'm a lot more likely to get it if I can take the baby with me. I'm thinking about the summer and wondering if I should make arrangements with Brendan's sitter so that I can drop him off a couple days each week and then get things done like housekeeping, shopping, etc. without having to worry about him. It's $25 a day for the sitter, and I don't know what her summer schedule will be, since I'm sure the other kids she watches are not on the mommy-is-a-teacher schedule that Brendan is. But it would be nice to make sure that he's still going to daycare for a number of reasons: 1) he'll be less likely to develop separation anxiety if he continues going a few days each week; 2) he'll keep developing his social skills by playing with the other kids (they're all older than he is, but they totally love playing with him); 3) I'll be able to get things done at home (including napping) without having to worry about him every minute. I'm not sure if it's financially feasible, but I really do want to think about it.

But back to what I want for Mother's Day. Other than things like liposuction and personal training, I guess the one thing I want is a day off. Not that I don't want to be a mom; I just want to be absolved of my duties for a day. Or even just for a night. Someone could just get me a hotel room, and I'd go there and sleep for twelve hours without a dog pawing at me, or anyone snoring but me, or anyone waking me up to eat or be rocked. That sounds really selfish, now that I look at it. But I think one good night's sleep might go a long way to recharging my batteries.

Anyway, I don't know that I am getting anything in particular for Mother's Day. So maybe I just need to ask for patience. If I can just hang on until the boy gets a little older and sleeps a little better...

No comments:

Post a Comment