Pool Time

Pool Time

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

One step forward, two steps back

I am flying solo today. My husband went back to work at the beginning of the week, and my mother-in-law went home this morning. We're still on the multi-method feeding schedule--breastfeeding as long as possible, then bottle feeding breast milk, and then bottle feeding formula (both while I'm pumping for the next feeding). It's time-consuming enough when my husband is available to split the work with me. It was difficult the past two days, when my mother-in-law did everything else around the house (laundry, cooking, vacuuming, cleaning, making me lunch while I fed the baby, all that good stuff). It seems nearly impossible, doing it all on my own. I have to breastfeed, then have two bottles ready, handle the burping and the changing (and does this kid ever go through diapers! Holy cow!), pump breast milk for the next feeding, sooth the baby when he's crying and fussing, and deal with the dog who wants to go out and go for a walk (which of course we can't do; even if the weather were really nice, which it isn't, Brendan's only a week and a half old and not really ready to be exposed to the elements). Somewhere in the middle of all this, I'm supposed to be making sure I'm drinking lots of fluids, keeping my feet up as much as possible, eating sensibly, getting a little exercise (like walking), and getting lots of rest. When the hell am I supposed to do those things?

No comments:

Post a Comment